With objectives of correcting regional imbalances in the accessibility of reliable/affordable tertiary healthcare services and as well to expand facilities for SUPERIOR medical education in the country, the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) was announced in the year 2003. PMSSY has basically two components: Setting up of AIIMS like Institutions and Upgradation of Government Medical College Institutions.
The Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) aims at correcting the unevenness in the accessibility of reasonably priced healthcare facilities in various parts of the country in general.
The first phase in the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) consists of two components:
- ✔Establishment of six institutions in the line of AIIMS;
- ✔Modernization of 13 existing Government medical college institutions.
In the second phase of PMSSY,
- ✔Approval of the setting up of two more AIIMS-like institutions has been given by the government; one each in the States of West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh
- ✔Upgradation of six medical college institutions namely
In the third phase of PMSSY,
- ✔The upgradation of the medical college institutions namely of Jhansi, Rewa, Gorakhpur, Dharbanga, Kozhikode, Bellary, Muzaffarpur has been proposed