As many as 75 districts in India have been put under lockdown to battle the COVID-19. More districts may be on the list to get locked down in the days to come. The ultimate thing is, we don't know what is going to happen.
Train services around the nation has been put under pause until 31st March 2020, for the first time in the history of India. All these factors are enough to state how serious this coronavirus situation is.
It's not only India that is only facing the wrath, the entire world is taking measures including lockdown and social distancing. With countries like China, Italy, Iran, USA, Spain, France, South Korea, etc being the worst hit, the entire world is much perturbed.
So What Is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease that is caused by a newly discovered coronavirus. As per the World Health Organization (WHO), most of the people infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness. However, these people will recover without requiring special treatment, according to WHO.
Older people, on the other hand, including those with underlying medical problems such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer and chronic respiratory disease are more likely to develop serious illness due to COVID-19.
How Does COVID-19 Spread?
In such ugly circumstances, the best way to prevent and slow down transmission of coronavirus is to be well informed about the COVID-19 virus itself, how it spreads and the disease it causes. Coronavirus disease spreads from one person to another mainly through contact with an infected person when they sneeze or cough. COVID-19 also spreads when you touch a surface or object that has the virus on it, then touch your nose, eyes, or mouth.
How to Protect Yourself and Others from the COVID-19?
In order to protect yourself from COVID-19, WHO has suggested the following preventive measures:
- Protect yourself and others from infection by washing your hands frequently
- Or, clean your hands by using an alcohol based rub frequently
- Refrain from touching your face, eyes
- Avoid public gatherings
- Avoid close contact with people. Keep a distance of 1 meter or 6 feet with anyone who is sick or has symptoms.
- Practice social distancing.
- Cook meat, eggs, etc well.
- Keep distance between yourself and others if COVID-19 is spreading in your community.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that you often touch on a daily basis.
- Cover your mouth and nose with your elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue away after using.
If You Have Symptoms or You Have Been Exposed to the Coronavirus or If You've Been Diagnosed with the COVID-19, Do the Following:
- If you're sick, stay home from work, public areas, school, unless you are going to get medical treatment.
- If possible, stay isolated in a separate room from family and pets.
- If you are ill, wear a mask around other people.
- Avoid sharing glasses, dishes, bedding and other household items if you're sick.
- Follow your doctor's recommendations.
- If possible, use a separate bathroom from family.
- Stay home for a period of time
- Avoid taking public transportation if you are sick.
- If you are very ill, you may require to be treated in the hospital.
We can say that right now, we are at war with an invisible enemy. If this enemy were visible, we could hit a target, aim and destroy but since we can't see anything we need to be extra cautious. We all need to be careful. We need to make sure that we all complying with whatever preventive measures we have been asked to. And most importantly, do no spread rumors, don't panic, take precautions and stay safe. Stay home. Save yourself and others. Stay strong.
Meanwhile, you may also consider coronavirus insurance to keep yourself and your family out of any further worries that the situation is causing.